Friday, July 24, 2009

Encounters with Werner Herzog

So, those who know me know I love the films of Werner Herzog (crazy German bastard he is). Couple of weeks back I bought his latest doc "Encounters At The End of The World" on DVD. It's a film about the Antarctic and the dreamers who live there. I've been saving it for the right moment to watch it. As I've learned, Herzog's films are something to be savoured and contemplated. You don't just throw one on for kicks. It must be placed in the DVD player delicately and meditated upon like a fine wine or Japanese Zen koan.
So, I watched it tonight. The moment seemed right but for no tangible reason other than I was ready.
In one word: extraordinary. In many words: breathtaking, mindblowing, an alternate reality. Its hard to sum up. The people living there include a scientist more comfortable living with the penguins he studies than other humans, a philosopher who drives heavy machinery, a linguist on a continent with no human language, a machinist who is a descendent from Incan royalty. I watched a deranged penguin walk away from his colony, away from the ocean, inward to the center of the continent, 5000 miles on the path to certain death. I saw undesea creatures that are alien to our experience. Scientists laying down and placing their ear to the ice to listen to it move and the call of the seals transmitted through it. There were volcanic vents through the ice that created cathedrals of frozen water.
Rent or buy this movie. Buy a great bottle of wine or roll a nice joint. Dim the lights. And watch this movie. I am in awe ... thank you, Werner. I still believe in the magic of film.

p.s.-and he dedicated it to Roger Ebert the film critic and one of his biggest fans...(the scientists listening at the ice segment was definitely for him)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the kinds of colonies we'll have on Mars in some distant future. I'll rent the film - I've been thinking about Mars, about frontiers in general a lot lately.

    Did you see Grizzly Man?

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comparison to space colonies was brought up also. You remind to a degree of the kind of person who ends up there: the professional dreamers and travellers. One of the people there said that everyone there didn't have strings to tie them down so they fell to the bottom.

    Yeh, i love Grizzly Man. Herzog operates on a different plain. Can't get enough of his movies, especially his docs.

    ReplyDelete